Sunday, February 8, 2015

This Soup Will Literally Slap You In the Face It's So Good!

Creamy Italian Sausage and Kale Soup

Fellas, you have to believe me here, this is a homerun.  You want to make the lady of the house happy, right? Run to the store immediately, grab these ingredients below, come back home, and cook this.  You can't go wrong! Ladies, kick up your feet, and let your man cook this up.
But ladies, if you feel compelled to cook this yourself, I'm not gonna hold you back.....It's too good for that.  This is some seriously Good Eats.
Ok, here we go with the ingredients... By the way, Special Thanks to the Everyday Maven for the idea to cook this up.  She's over at www.everydaymaven.com
I followed this ingredient list pretty close, but I added more carrots and celery.  Also, we crumbled Wellshire Farms Dry Rubbed Bacon on top as a delicious garnish.  You can't go wrong with that.

Creamy Italian Sausage and Kale Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon kosher salt 
¾ teaspoon whole fennel seeds
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¾ pound uncooked Hot Italian Chicken Sausage (or Pork), crumbled
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ⅛” rounds
2 medium stalks celery, cut into ⅛” half-moons
8 cups chicken broth or stock 
1 dried bay leaf
1 head Lacinato Kale, stems removed, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
1 13.5-ounce can full fat coconut milk

I tossed olive oil in my dutch oven and cooked the garlic and onions until the onions became translucent.  Then, I added the meat and spices and cooked for about 7 minutes.  Next, I added the broth, celery, and carrots and put it on boil for a bit.  After the carrots soften, I pulled the kale off the stems, cut it into bite-size pieces, and placed them in the soup to cook for a few minutes.  Lastly, I added the can of coconut milk to make the soup creamy.  At this point, I turned the heat to low and eventually off.  The milk melts and blends quickly.  
A great recipe, easy to make and delicious!
Really, it took me and hour or so with prep and cook time.
Have fun eating good, nutritious food.

Jami and Keith


No comments:

Post a Comment