Thursday, February 19, 2015

SKIN Health and .....7 steps to get you started on your beauty path!



Having healthy, clear skin is something that was once just a dream for me. Starting in about 6th grade I had issues with breakouts on my skin. Probably some of it back then was due to "bangs" and hairspray, but even so, some gals didn't have the issues I had. This went on and on and on even into my early to mid-twenties. I had sensitive skin, on top of the hormonal changes that come with adolescence and also the standard american diet, even though I thought ate healthy at times, my knowledge back then was minimal. One summer I was visiting a dear friend in Austin, Tx and my skin was so broke out, her mom let me try her topical anti-biotic. It was that bad. When someone offers you their own prescription medicine to help your skin, that is a sign your skin is really broken out. I tried it that night and my skin looked a lot better the next morning. So...when I arrived back home my dad ordered the prescription for me. This kept my skin clear. There were times I didn't have the prescription for whatever reason and I would break out again. It was all over my face, it was painful and it was embarrassing. I remember praying that if God would clear up my skin I would never do anything bad again. : ) Well, that didn't happen! I must have faltered on my end. 

I moved to Colorado when I was 23 and the dry air was really, really good for my skin. For the first time ever....I was having good results. A few things were happening...the dry air helped a lot, I had started to use natural skin care, AND I had taken a sabbatical from imbibing any alcohol. First lessons in what you put on your skin and what you put in your body..makes a difference.  I did use natural things prior, or, I had begun to. I would go to the Natural Health store and try different things but I didn't really have a change until I moved to Colorado and made some of the other changes as well. I worked for Origins Cosmetics and started gettin' my learn on.

A couple of years later when I moved to Little Rock, I began to have issues again. Here the air is very humid and I had started to imbibe once again and was having issues. Now a new friend shares her Pro-Activ with me. This helps, so I use the peroxide serum for a while to keep things clear. Still not addressing the underlying cause yet.

Shortly after that is when I started training and working as a colon hydro-therapist. The beginning of my diving into digestive health, nutrition, and my own experiences of figuring out what works for me.

Nutrition, hydration, elimination processes of the body, exercise..all of it. But, here's the trick....what works for one, may not work for another. When I was eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables, and really low protein and saturated fat, my skin was not good at all! Surprising isn't it?? While fruits and vegetables are a huge part of my diet now, I am also an advocate for proteins and fats from pastured animals, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds, etc. Ratios for each person are individual and something everyone needs to try on for themselves and see what works.

My skin now stays clear and healthy. If something is out of balance with me, it will show up in my skin..along with other things, but I can definitely see what's happening inside me by looking at my skin.

Here is how I care for my skin...

1. Good clean water. Filter on the tap and we keep 5 gallon containers of reverse osmosis water for drinking. Add a tiny pinch of celtic sea salt to put minerals back in. Keep your water with you however and whenever you can and you will remember to drink it.

2. Warm lemon water in the morning to start your day and if you follow that with coffee or tea, make sure they are organic. Too much coffee or tea will be dehydrating so make sure to know your limits. Always opt for organic, especially with coffee as it is one of the mostly highly sprayed crops with herbicides and pesticides. White, green and some herbal teas can be great for healthy skin!

3. For me, my diet consists of organic meats from a local farm, organic unrefined fats, yes, saturated also, fruits and vegetables and some nuts and seeds. This is my primary focus and this keeps me stable, healthy and feeling good. I am human so obviously there is no perfection here. Traveling, eating out and gluten free treats do have a place in my life and I know how to get myself back in balance if I get out of balance. The gelatin from real bone broth is amazing for collagen production in our skin.

4. Exercise and sweating is a must!  Dry brushing your skin before will help move the lymphatic fluid and get it ready to push wastes out. Elimination of bodily wastes feels great physically and mentally as well. Overall, each habit affects everything.

5. Organic, natural skin care. I love beauty practices and make up but for me it is mineral and plant based. What we put on our skin, we absorb and take in to our body. This is something I feel strongly about and is definitely part of my routine.

6. Facials at home and at the spa. You can do your own facials at home and of course, if you can go to the spa, treat yourself and let the professionals massage the lymph and ease the stress. You will see an immediate change! I would suggest a spa that uses Eminence Organic Skin Care and the Eminence massage techniques.

7. Plenty of rest. It's called Beauty Sleep for a reason. We all know we can see it in our appearance when we do not get enough rest. We rest and repair when we sleep. Make sure to make this a priority.

Make yourself feel like a Beauty Queen!!

This is my bestie...of 23 years! She owns Hygeia Holistics and will blend me my very own herbal teas for my health and beauty. How blessed am I?? Very!




No comments:

Post a Comment